EnteraGam® is a medical food product that is completely different from other therapies because it helps address the unique nutritional needs of people who have IBD. About 1.4 million Americans suffer from the symptoms of IBD, which can include:1-3
- Bloody stools
- Abdominal discomfort
- Weight loss
IBD is a serious medical condition that only your doctor can properly diagnose and manage. Your doctor may determine that EnteraGam® is an excellent option to add to your existing therapies.
Why IBD is so challenging
When you have IBD, normal foods, your own bacteria, and other naturally occurring substances can trigger flares of inflammation in the lining of the intestine.4
This inflammation can affect the entire digestive tract in people with Crohn’s disease or just the large intestine in people with ulcerative colitis, the 2 most common types of IBD.4 Some people with IBD may have periods of time when symptoms do not trouble them (called a remission), but inflammation and symptoms can return anytime (called a flare).1,2
While the exact cause of IBD is not clear, scientists are studying how changes in the gut microbiome, and microbes such as bacteria, may contribute to IBD and IBD flares.1,3 Learn more about changes to the gut microbiome.
In other gastrointestinal conditions like irritable bowel syndrome, scientists already know that inflammation can cause small gaps at a cellular level in the intestinal lining (called the intestinal or gut barrier). When substances (both foreign and natural) that may be toxic to the gut penetrate the lining of the intestine (eg, bacterial endotoxins), this may trigger inflammation that results in small gaps between cells. Similar to irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D), the intestinal or gut barrier fails to absorb salts and water due in part to these changes.5,6
EnteraGam® works right at the source of the problem
EnteraGam® uniquely binds toxic substances released by bacteria (and other substances called microbial components7) that upset the intestinal environment. This helps prevent them from penetrating the lining of the intestine and causing problems. EnteraGam® may also help:5,7-13
- Restore a stable environment in your gut (called gut homeostasis)
- Manage how your gut barrier works (called gut barrier function) so nutrients from foods and fluids can be properly absorbed
Easy to take
EnteraGam® is a fine powder that can be easily mixed into at least 4 ounces of liquid (water or other liquid as preferred). Or, EnteraGam® can be mixed with soft foods, such as pudding or yogurt.13
EnteraGam® is safe, well-tolerated, and can be taken along with other therapies for IBD that your doctor has prescribed. EnteraGam® can also be safely taken with medications or therapies for other conditions.13
Take action today
Download this free Doctor Discussion Guide and ask your doctor if EnteraGam® is right for you. Your doctor may want you to take EnteraGam® along with your other IBD therapies.
- Wilson D, Evans M, Weaver E, Shaw AL, Klein GL. Evaluation of serum-derived bovine immunoglobulin protein isolate in subjects with diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome. Clin Med Insights Gastroenterol. 2013;6:49-60.
- Petschow BW, Burnett B, Shaw AL, Weaver EM, Klein Serum-derived bovine immunoglobulin/protein isolate: postulated mechanism of action for management of enteropathy. Clin Exp Gastroenterol. 2014;7:181-190.
- Gasbarrini A, Lauritano EC, Garcovich M, Sparano L, Gasbarrini New insights into the pathophysiology of IBS: intestinal microflora, gas production and gut motility. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2008;12 Suppl 1:111-117.
- Horgan A, Maas K, Henderson A, Detzel C, Weaver E. Serum-derived bovine immunoglobulin/protein isolate binds to pathogen-associated molecular patterns. Poster presented at: Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology; April 26-30, 2014; San Diego, CA.
- Asmuth D, Netanya S. Utay NS, Somsouk M, et al. Oral bovine immunoglobulin reduces immune activation in HIV+ immune nonresponders. Poster presented at: Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI); February 22-25, 2016; Boston, MA.
- Henderson AL, Brand MW, Darling RJ, et al. Attenuation of colitis by serum-derived bovine immunoglobulin/protein isolate in a defined microbiota mouse model. Dig Dis Sci. 2015;60(11):3293-3303.
- Pérez-Bosque A, Miró L, Maijó M, et al. Dietary intervention with serum-derived bovine immunoglobulins protects barrier function in a mouse model of colitis. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2015;308(12):G1012-G1018.
- Pérez-Bosque A, Miró L, Maijó M, et al. Oral serum-derived bovine immunoglobulin/protein isolate has immunomodulatory effects on the colon of mice that spontaneously develop colitis. PLoS One. 2016;11(5):e0154823.
- Detzel CJ, Horgan A, Henderson AL, Petschow BW, Warner CD, Maas KJ, Weaver EM. Bovine immunoglobulin/protein isolate binds pro-inflammatory bacterial compounds and prevents immune activation in an intestinal co-culture model. PLoS One. 2015;10(4):e0120278.
- EnteraGam [product information]. Ankeny, IA: Entera Health, Inc.; October 2016.
A positive change
By providing dietary management of chronic diarrhea and loose stools, EnteraGam® restores gut homeostasis in ways that common approaches may not.1 EnteraGam® uniquely binds microbial components to help1-8:
EnteraGam® uniquely binds microbial components to help1-8:
- Rebalance bacterial flora
- Manage gut barrier function
- Increase uptake and utilization of nutrients
EnteraGam® patient support &
EnteraGam® is a medical food product intended for the dietary management of chronic diarrhea and loose stools. EnteraGam® must be administered under medical supervision.
Important Safety Information:
EnteraGam® contains beef protein: therefore, patients who have an allergy to beef or any other component of EnteraGam® should not take this product. EnteraGam® has not been studied in pregnant women, in women during labor and delivery, or in nursing mothers. The choice to administer EnteraGam® during pregnancy, labor and delivery, or to nursing mothers is at the clinical discretion of the prescribing physician.
EnteraGam® does not contain any milk-derived ingredients such as lactose, casein, or whey. EnteraGam® is gluten-free, dye-free, and soy-free.
Please see Full Product Information.
To report suspected adverse reactions, contact Entera Health, Inc. at 1-855-4ENTERA (1-855-436-8372), or the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or www.fda.gov/medwatch.